Typical Teacher Interview Questions
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of questions.
1. What is your educational preparation?
2. What are your professional experiences?
3. What is the role of the teacher in the classroom?
4. How would you describe your last principal?
5. What was your favorite course in college, and why?
6. What principles do you use to motivate students?
7. Describe effective teaching techniques that result in intended learning.
8. What are your career goals five years from now? Ten years?
9. State a behavioral objective you taught in your class.
10. What is the most exciting thing happening in the area of education today?
11. What is the most exciting thing happening in your field of study?
12. What have you found to be the toughest aspect of discipline?
13. Describe the physical appearance of your classroom.
14.Describe an ideal curriculum in your area of study.
15. How do you implement career education concepts in your class.
16. How do you individualize learning in your classes?
17. Define current curriculum trends in your area.
18. How much time do you devote to the lecture approach?
19. Describe independent study projects your students have completed.
20. If you could choose to teach any concept in your area, which would you select? Why?
21. What rules have you established for your classroom?
22. How have you implemented inquiry?
23. Of what use are behavioral learning objectives in the teaching/learning process?
24. How do you structure your class to achieve maximum benefit from teacher/student contact?
25. Describe the format you use to develop a lesson.
26. What should schools do for students?
27. Is the teaching of content important? Why/why not?
28. How have you emphasized the development of basic skills?
29. How do you handle the different ability levels? of students in classes?
30. How do you account for the affective domain in your teaching?
31. How would your students describe you?
32. In what professional organizations do you hold memberships?
33. How would your colleagues describe you?
34. Why did you choose the teaching profession?
35. How have you recently improved your professional skills?
36. What are your plans for future improvement of professional skills?
37. What is the toughest aspect of teaching today?
38. What is the role of homework?
39. What has been your most positive teaching experience? Negative?
40. How have you contributed toward the development of the total school program in your current position?
41. What activities will you sponsor if you are hired for this position?
42. Could a student of low academic ability receive a high grade in your class?
43. What is your system for evaluating student work?
44. What would be the ideal philosophy of a school for you?
45. What is your philosophy of education?
46. Why is your field important for a student to study?
47. How would you handle a student who is a consistent behavioral problem in your class?
48. How would your last principal describe you?
49. What five words would you use to describe yourself?
50. What is your position on teacher advisement program. Behavior modification? Tracking? Special education? Values clarification? Multi-test approach?
51. If you found nonstandard usage in student writing or class discussion, how would you respond to it?
52. In what areas do you feel you need improvement?
53. How would you handle a student sleeping in your class?
54. What would you do if a student has been absent from your class for several days?
55. What provisions have you made for the gifted?
56. What would a visitor in your class see?
57. How have you communicated student progress to parents?